The Israeli-Palestinian conflict is a deeply rooted and complex issue with both historical and contemporary dimensions. The call for a boycott of Israeli goods and services has been a significant aspect of international efforts to address the conflict, particularly in support of Palestinian independence.
This article provides a comprehensive list of major companies and entities that have been targeted for boycotts as part of this ongoing struggle.
1. Elbit Systems
- About Elbit Systems: Elbit Systems is an Israeli defense technology company that produces a wide range of military equipment and systems.
- Boycott Reason: Elbit Systems has faced boycott calls due to its involvement in the production of surveillance and security systems used in the Israeli West Bank barrier and its impact on Palestinian territories.
2. Caterpillar (CAT®)
- About Caterpillar: Caterpillar is an American corporation that manufactures construction and mining equipment, including bulldozers.
- Boycott Reason: Caterpillar has been targeted for providing bulldozers used by the Israeli military in the demolition of Palestinian homes and infrastructure.
- About Expedia: Expedia is a global travel booking platform that offers flights, accommodations, and vacation packages.
- Boycott Reason: Expedia has faced criticism for listing accommodations in Israeli settlements in the West Bank, which are considered illegal under international law.
- About Puma: Puma is a multinational sportswear company known for its athletic footwear and apparel.
- Boycott Reason: Puma has been the subject of boycott campaigns due to its sponsorship of the Israel Football Association, which includes teams based in Israeli settlements in the West Bank.
5. CAF (Construcciones y Auxiliar de Ferrocarriles)
- About CAF: CAF is a Spanish company that manufactures railway vehicles and equipment.
- Boycott Reason: CAF has faced criticism for its involvement in the construction of the Jerusalem Light Rail, which connects Israeli settlements in East Jerusalem to the city.
- About Airbnb: Airbnb is a global vacation rental and lodging platform that allows individuals to rent properties.
- Boycott Reason: Airbnb was previously targeted for listing accommodations in Israeli settlements. The company later delisted such properties.
- About Ahava: Ahava is an Israeli cosmetics company specializing in skincare products made from minerals from the Dead Sea.
- Boycott Reason: Ahava products have been boycotted due to their manufacturing location in the West Bank, leading to concerns over compliance with international law.
- About Barclays: Barclays is a British multinational bank and financial services company.
- Boycott Reason: Barclays has faced boycott calls over its financial investments in companies involved in the Israeli occupation.
- About Volvo: Volvo is a Swedish multinational manufacturing company known for its production of vehicles and construction equipment.
- Boycott Reason: Volvo has faced criticism for providing construction equipment used in the building of Israeli settlements and infrastructure in the West Bank.
10. TKH Security
- About TKH Security: TKH Security is a Dutch company that specializes in security and surveillance solutions.
- Boycott Reason: TKH Security has been boycotted due to its involvement in providing security systems used in Israeli settlements.
- About Chevron: Chevron is an American multinational energy corporation with a significant presence in Israel.
- Boycott Reason: Chevron has faced boycott campaigns due to its involvement in energy projects in the West Bank.
12. JCB (J.C. Bamford Excavators Ltd.)
- About JCB: JCB is a British construction and agricultural equipment manufacturer.
- Boycott Reason: JCB has faced criticism for providing construction equipment used in the building of Israeli settlements and the separation barrier.
- About Carrefour: Carrefour is a French multinational retail corporation with a global presence.
- Boycott Reason: Carrefour has faced boycott calls for its sale of products from Israeli settlements in the West Bank.
14. Domino’s Pizza
- About Domino’s Pizza: Domino’s Pizza is an American pizza restaurant and delivery chain.
- Boycott Reason: Domino’s Pizza has faced boycott campaigns due to the presence of franchise locations in Israeli settlements.
15. Papa John’s
- About Papa John’s: Papa John’s is an American pizza delivery and carryout restaurant chain.
- Boycott Reason: Papa John’s has been targeted for having franchise locations in Israeli settlements.
16. Pizza Hut
- About Pizza Hut: Pizza Hut is an American restaurant chain known for its pizza and pasta offerings.
- Boycott Reason: Pizza Hut has faced criticism for the presence of franchise locations in Israeli settlements.
17. Burger King
- About Burger King: Burger King is an American fast-food restaurant chain.
- Boycott Reason: Burger King has faced boycott calls due to the presence of franchise locations in Israeli settlements.
- About Wix: Wix is an Israeli cloud-based web development platform that allows users to create websites.
- Boycott Reason: Wix has been targeted for its headquarters in Israel and concerns about its operations in the West Bank.
The Israeli-Palestinian conflict has generated significant international attention and efforts, including boycott campaigns against companies and entities perceived to be involved in activities that impact Palestinian territories.
The list provided here includes major targets of these boycotts. It’s important to note that the effectiveness and impact of such boycotts can be a subject of debate, but they represent a form of non-violent activism aimed at raising awareness and advocating for change in the region.