The National Hockey League (NHL) Protected List is a list of players that NHL teams are not able to expose to other teams in the NHL Expansion Draft. The Protected List is a way for NHL teams to protect their core players and ensure that they remain with the team for the upcoming season.
What is the NHL Protected List?
The NHL Protected List is created each year before the NHL Expansion Draft. The Expansion Draft is a process in which a new NHL team is able to select players from existing NHL teams. In order to protect their core players, existing NHL teams are able to submit a Protected List of players that the new NHL team cannot select.
Benefits of being on the NHL Protected List
There are several benefits of being on the NHL Protected List. First, it ensures that a player will remain with their current team for the upcoming season. Second, it can give a player a sense of security and stability, knowing that they are not at risk of being selected by a new NHL team. Third, it can also be a valuable bargaining chip for a player in contract negotiations.
Additional Benefits of Being on the NHL Protected List
- Increased exposure: Being on the NHL Protected List can give a player increased exposure to fans and media. This can lead to more endorsement opportunities and other off-ice benefits.
- Trade protection: While being on the Protected List does not guarantee that a player will not be traded, it does make it less likely. Teams are generally less willing to trade protected players, as they know that they will be unable to replace them with a player of equal quality.
- Improved morale: Being placed on the Protected List can be a morale boost for a player. It shows that the team values them and is committed to keeping them around. This can lead to improved performance on the ice.
How to get on the NHL Protected List
There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, as the NHL Protected List is determined by each individual NHL team. However, there are some general factors that teams consider when creating their Protected Lists, such as:
- Player performance: Teams are more likely to protect players who have performed well for them in the past.
- Player potential: Teams are also more likely to protect players who they believe have high potential for the future.
- Contract status: Teams may be more likely to protect players who are under contract for multiple seasons.
- Salary: Teams may also be more likely to protect players who are on relatively affordable contracts.
Tips for making the most of your NHL Protected List status
If you are lucky enough to be placed on the NHL Protected List, there are a few things you can do to make the most of your status:
- Use it as an opportunity to prove yourself to your current team: Show them why you deserve to be protected and why you are a valuable asset to the team.
- Use it as a bargaining chip in contract negotiations: Let your team know that you are a valuable commodity and that you have options if you are not happy with your current contract.
- Use it as an opportunity to market yourself to other teams: Even though you are protected, other teams may still be interested in trading for you. If you are interested in being traded, let your team know and they may be able to work out a deal with another team.
Being placed on the NHL Protected List is a privilege, not a right. If you are fortunate enough to be protected, make the most of your status and use it to your advantage.
Overall, being on the NHL Protected List is a positive thing for a player. It provides them with a number of benefits, including job security, increased exposure, trade protection, and improved morale.